Wednesday, February 07, 2007

INTRODUCING MELISSA GRANILLO, GRAPHIC DESIGN STUDENT


Hello all! My name is Melissa Granillo and I’m senior Graphic Design student at CSUF. I’ve never written on a blog before but I'm am looking forward to sharing my artistic experience.

I transferred here from Saddleback College in Fall 2005. Being at a Cal State is a big step up from a junior college, but the transition was nice. I actually started my college life at Saddleback in 2001, where I spent the next four years wondering what I was going to do with my life! I was so confused as I’m sure we all have been fresh out of high school. After trying classes in nursing, interior design and English, I found my major: ART! At Saddleback I got my AA in Studio Art and that’s when I decided to further my education at CSUF. I knew that I didn’t want to travel too far from home and I heard great things about CSUF’s design program, so I made the decision to trek 4 days a week, 35 miles away, and 1 hour in traffic from my home in Laguna Hills to the city of Fullerton.

After a year and a half at this school, I’ve grown fond of the campus, friends, and classes. It’s hard for me to adapt to new places because I’m a shy person. I’m happy that I’ve learned to open up a bit more. I got in an art show in the Titan Student Union in Fall 2005 and received a scholarship this past fall. I even found my first graphic design internship through the career center here!

Going to school full time and working part time doesn’t leave much room for too much leisure time, but I always manage to squeeze some in for hanging out with my boyfriend and other friends. Currently I do design contract work for a company in Irvine and right now I’m taking a Special Studies class, Computer Assisted Graphics and Creative Photography.

I’ll keep you posted on what’s going on in those classes and classes that I have taken in the past. Hopefully those who read this will get some info about some great classes, design techniques, teacher’s advice that I’ve taken to heart and a little bit of my own piece of mind.

Cheers,
Melissa :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mellisa, your blog was very nice and helpful, I myself am a shy girl and I come from a very small school (600 students), but it is good to know that you feel compfortable there? Before deciding on majoring in Graphic design had you ever had any prior experience...or did you just jump into it and excel from there? Thanks so much :)
ERIN

10:54 PM, February 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Erin,

You know I didn't have any prior experience to graphic design. I've always really enjoyed the arts though, and it was just a matter of finding the right media for me. I only took one graphic design class at my junior college and then completely jumped into it at CSUF. I thought I learned a lot from that one class, but I realized that I didn't know anything until I started my upper division studio graphic design classes. Design is very competitive, as is all art, but what makes me keep going is the fun in creative something new!

-Melissa

3:26 PM, February 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa!
I was reading your blog and I think it's awesome!
Just like you, I also spent 4 yrs at a jr college trying to figure out my major :)
I just recently got accepted to the BA in Studio Arts program as a transfer student for Fall 2012 but I'll definitely be applying for the BFA in Graphic Design.
I haven't really gotten the opportunity to talk to any CSUF Graphic Design students and I would love it if you gave me your input!
I guess the main questions are: did you like the program? Would you change anything about it? Do you feel like it fully prepared you with the right knowledge and skills? Have you landed a good g.design job after graduation? Is it possible to graduate on time?
I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions!! Right now I'm torn between CSUF and the UC Davis Design program. I've already talked to UCD students so I just wanted to hear CSUF students' input :)
Any info would be awesome!
my email is: lizpr3 @hotmail.com (no spaces)
Thanks!

8:38 PM, May 31, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Liz btw! :)

8:39 PM, May 31, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home