Wednesday, June 13, 2007

CHRIS ALLISON, PART 5 (March Post)

Spring break is a time that makes everyone happy! For some students, it’s a time to return to see their families. For others a time to go on an
exciting trip away from campus. But over at the animation department, it’s
a time to catch up on work and relaxation.

First of all, I’d like to talk about the Brian Crosby event that I promised
everyone. Cal State Fullerton is proud to claim Brian Crosby as one of it’s
own who now work amongst the ranks of Disney’s Imagineering Department. Imagineers are a whole bunch of talented folks at Disney who come up with ideas for the parks and build them. All sorts of people are needed for this, including artists, architects, marketing folks and more! Brian started out doing comic books while still attending CSUF.

During his visit he discussed his transition from freelance artist to Disney professional.

(Ryan Gerrish, my colleague and fellow Pencil Mileage Club member, introduces Brian Crosby dressed in black.)

Brian talked about Disney’s annual Imagineer contest, which is how he got his foot into the door and really caught the attention of the professionals at
Disney. Brian’s visit was great. He even stopped to look at people’s portfolios afterwards!

Brian has such enthusiasm for CSUF that he took the time to come back and talk to students and even give us one-on-one feedback about
our own work to encourage us to give Imagineering a shot. He gives a lot of
credit for his success to the CSUF Visual Arts Department, but I think it
was also a combination of his great talent and hard work.

(Brian Crosby looking at some student portfolios.)

Second, I’d like to talk juggling. Yup, juggling. As an art student at Cal
State Fullerton, about half of your classes are outside of the art
department. Spooky, ain’t it? But don’t be scared! There are plenty of
animation students that do just great at juggling art and other classes.
Heck, we’re so good that some animation students even formed a juggling club just to show off.

But one of my concerns coming to Cal State Fullerton, was that I’d have to take all these required classes that don’t require me to draw anything to get the grade. How lame! I have to not only be a great artist, but
an academic as well? Preposterous! But my mind changed
quickly. I’ve taken some really great classes at Cal State Fullerton
outside of my major that I really enjoy. I think it’s a better-rounded
experience than an art college because we’re interacting and learning about
things outside of just art. These are all things that help to enrich me as
an artist, and fuel my creativity.

Your pal,
Chris
CSUF JUGGLING CLUB
DISNEY IMAGINEERING

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home